What is it?
A project being carried out by the City Council in partnership with other interested stakeholders to understand the problems facing historic buildings and to develop approaches to regeneration that goes beyond individual buildings. A summary of the project is available here Building Blocks Summary
The project was initiated based on the need to work towards unblocking the potential of historic city centre blocks in order to address complex problems of historic building underuse, vacancy and decay.
UCC Centre for Planning Education & Research, Cork Business Association, Owners, Irish Landmark Trust, Cork City Council SPED / Property section.
What have we done so far?
- Commissioned the study ‘Keeping Cork’s characteristic buildings is use’
- Carried out in-house research in the City Council Planning Policy section on rates of underuse, vacancy & building decay
- Commissioned UCC Centre for Planning Education & Research to carry out research into strategies for regeneration at building, block and area level. A summary of the research can be viewed by clicking on the following link Building Blocks Final Report.
- Commissioned Mulcahy Ralphs Architects to prepare an architectural concept for the chosen study block on South Mall. A summary of their work can be viewed by clicking on the following link Mulcahy Ralphs.
- Started a conversation with city centre building owners, managers and occupiers
- Held a one day seminar in October 2015 whereby interested stakeholders were gathered together to discuss the issues. A synopsis of those discussions can be viewed by clicking on the following link Circular Workshop Discussions.
- Broaden and deepen the conversation with owners, agents, occupiers and users
- Share the work already carried out with the stakeholders so that together we can develop realistic and achievable solutions to the problems identified
- Develop relationships with people and places facing similar issues in other places so that together we can explore possibilities for improvement
A visual of the Building Bocks study can be viewed here Visual of Building Blocks Study Block