The first real dockyards on the river were established in the early decades of the nineteenth century on the north bank of the river around modern day Lower Glanmire Road and Water Street. In 1828, Cork along with Dublin and Waterford was one of the first Irish ports to have a dockyard equipped with a patent slip. Such slips enabled ships to be mechanically hoisted out of the water for repairs without the need for a dry dock and reversed the need to repair vessels in England. During the 1820s and 1830s Cork became the most important ship-building centre in the country and continued to be important until the 1860s. In 1877 the Water Street premises were sold to the Harbour Commissioners for use as a works yard. The former Harbour Master’s House and the patent slip (12) are still visible today and were recently added to the City Council’s Record of Protected Structures.
Figure 1: Former Harbour Master’s House