What is a Development Plan?
The development plan is an important strategy document for the City that:
- Provides a vision for how Cork will be developed and improved with a strong focus on putting the right development in the right locations and ensuring that adequate infrastructure exists to serve it (e.g. transport);
- Sets out the priorities for managing the city and investment in infrastructure over the plan period;
- is a key reference-point in determining planning applications.
A new development plan must be prepared by Cork City Council every 6 years.
Goals of the Development Plan
The 7 main goals of the current City Development Plan 2015 are:
Development Plan Process and Timeline
We look forward to hearing your views on the Draft Cork City Development Plan and how you see Cork City’s role in driving economic, social, cultural and environmental development.
- 26th June, 2020 - Notice of intention of Planning Authority to Prepare a new Development Plan (Issues Paper). Commence Public Consultation.
- 21st August, 2020 – End of Public Consultation.
- 16th October 2020 - Chief Executive’s Report on Pre-Draft Submissions submitted to Council for consideration.
- 18th May 2021 –Draft Development Plan submitted to full Council for consideration.
- You are here 26th July 2021 – Draft Development Plan open to the public for consultation.
- 4th October 2021 – Public Consultation Period Ends.
- December 2021 – Chief Executive’s Report on Draft Plan Submissions submitted to Council for consideration.
- April 2022 – Council adopts or amends Draft Plan.
- April 2022 – Public Consultation on Amendments to Draft Plan begins.
- April 2022 – Public Consultation on Amendments to Draft Plan ends.
- May 2022 – Chief Executive’s Report on Submissions on Amendments to Draft Plan submitted to Council.
- June 2022 – Council considers Chief Executive’s Report on Submissions and makes Development Plan.
- August 2022 – Cork City Development Plan 2022-2028 takes effect.
The Draft City Development Plan comprises:
- Volume 1 the Written Statement;
- Volume 2 Mapped Objectives; and
- Volume 3 Specific Built Heritage Objectives
The Draft Plan is accompanied by:
- a Strategic Environmental Report prepared in accordance with the Planning & Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004,
- an Appropriate Assessment, pursuant to Article 6 (3) and Article 4 of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC, and
- a Strategic Flood Risk Assessment that has been prepared in accordance with The Planning System and Flood Risk Management Guidelines 2009.
This 10 week public consultation period runs from Monday 26th July 2021 until Monday 4th October 2021. Submissions may be made on any aspect of the Draft Plan.
In accordance with Section 12(1)(b) of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 as amended the Draft Cork City Development Plan 2022-2028 will be on public display and available for public consultation from 26th July 2021 to 4th October 2021 (both dates inclusive) at the following locations:
- Planning Counter, Cork City Council City Hall, Anglesea Street, Cork from 10 am to 4pm (by appointment as per Covid-19 Guidelines, appointments can be made by telephone at 021-492 4328 or by email to email@example.com
- The City Library, Grand Parade, Cork from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Saturday. Appointments to view the development plan can be made by phoning 021-4924900. In line with current government guidelines, viewings will be a maximum of 15 minutes.
In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Children or groups and associations representing the interests of children are entitled to make submissions or observations regarding policy objectives to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the development plan;
- Cork City Council is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act (as amended). Please be advised that all submissions received will be published online in accordance with the requirements of the Planning Acts.
- You should ensure that no vexatious, libellous or confidential information, including confidential information relating to a third party (in respect of which the third party has not, expressly, or impliedly in the circumstances, consented to its disclosure) is included in your submission. The Planning Authority reserves the right to redact any submission or part thereof that does not comply with this requirement. Please be advised that the submission will be published in full.
- Cork City Council is subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act (as amended) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In order to assist us in complying with Data Protection and GDPR, please include your name and contact details (and where relevant, include details of any organisation, community group or company etc), on a separate sheet to the content of your submission/ observation. Please avoid adding personal details in your actual submission. This processing of your personal data is lawful under Article 6 (1)(e) of the GDPR regulations. The Council’s Data Protection Policy is available on the Council website.
- Please note that in accordance with Section 12 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 as amended all valid submissions received by the Council shall be published on the Cork City Council website within 10 working days of its receipt by the Council. The planning process is an open and public process and therefore your submission (in part or in total) will be available to view online at https://consult.corkcity.ie/. All observations or submissions received during the above time period will be taken into consideration before the making of the Cork City Development 2022-2028.
We look forward to having a meaningful conversation on the future of our city and encourage everybody to take part in the process. Details and links to supporting studies are available at https://www.corkcity.ie/en/cork-city-development-plan/