Carrigrohane Bridge Replacement
- Replacement of the existing Carrigrohane Bridge with a new structure spanning over the Curragheen River.
- Construct a new section of pedestrian walkway/cycleway, approximately 300 metres in length, to provide the missing link for pedestrians and cyclists on the existing Curragheen River Greenway and enhanced connectivity to the nearby Munster Technological University (MTU) campus.
- Construct approximately 500 metres of new and realigned R608 Model Farm Road, on both approaches to Carrigrohane Bridge and provide a new 4-way signalised junction at the intersection of the re-aligned R608 Model Farm Road with Inchigaggin Lane.
- Installation of new public lighting/architectural lighting and CCTV system.
- Installation of new statutory, directional and cycleway signage.
- Replace the existing Carrigrohane Bridge with a new and significantly wider structure.
- Realigned R608 Model Farm Road west of Carrigrohane Bridge and new 4-way signalised junction at its intersection with Inchigaggin Lane will enhance forward visibility, improve traffic safety and remove "Accident Black Spot" designation.
- Provide the missing link for pedestrians and cyclists on the existing Curragheen River Greenway, allowing travel on a direct off-road section of walkway/cycleway north and south of Carrigrohane bridge.
- Enhance connectivity for cyclists and pedestrians accessing the nearby Munster Technological University (MTU) campus.
- Deliver within the scheme area, the cycle infrastructure needed to encourage a greater share of trips to be undertaken by bicycle along the Ballincollig to City Centre Corridor.
- Provide an enhanced environment within the scheme area, for pedestrians along the Ballincollig to City Centre corridor.
- Improve the quality of life for residents in the area.
Preliminary Design Phase commenced in Q2 2022 following appointment of a multi-disciplinary design team.