City Hall is one of the most splendid buildings of Cork. The current structure, replaced the old City Hall, which was destroyed in ‘The burning of Cork’, in 1920. It was designed by Architects Jones and Kelly and built by Cork Company Sisks. The foundation stone was laid by Éamonn de Valera, President of the Executive Council of the State on 9th July, 1932. The first meeting of the Council was held on the 24th April, 1935 and the building was formerly opened by Éamonn de Valera on the 8th September, 1936.
The building is designed on classic lines to harmonise with the examples of eighteenth and nineteenth century architecture, fundamentally Georgian in character, that so richly endow Cork City.
The main entrance to the offices is from Anglesea St, through a marble paved vestibule to the main staircase hall. The City Hall contains works by Séamus Murphy, R.H.A., including busts of Lord Mayors Tomás MacCurtain and Terence MacSwiney, and a profile of the late US President John F. Kennedy erected over the main entrance door commemorating his visit to Cork in 1963.