Outdoor Event Licenses
An outdoor event is defined as a public performance which takes place mainly in the open air or in a structure with no roof or a partial, temporary or retractable roof, a tent or similar temporary structure and which consists of music, dancing, displays of public entertainment or any activity of a like kind.
Where an outdoor public event comprises of an audience of 5,000 or more people, the organiser is required to obtain an Outdoor Events Licence from the Cork City Council. This is in accordance with the Planning & Development Act 2000-2010 (as amended) and Part 16 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended).
Revised Regulations in relation to the Licensing of Events
A summary of the changes are listed below:-
- Mandatory for event promoters to have a pre-application consultation meeting with the relevant local authority prior to submitting an events licence application
- Events licence applications will not be accepted by a local authority unless a pre-application consultation has already taken place with the event promoter
- Event promoters will not be entitled to advertise or sell tickets for events prior to the holding of a pre-application consultation meeting with the relevant local authority.
- Where tickets for events have been advertised and sold prior to the holding of a pre-application consultation meeting, an application for an event licence will not be accepted by the relevant local authority.
- Event licensing applications must be lodged with the relevant local authority at least 13 weeks in advance of the proposed event.
- Local authorities must make their decision on an event licence application no later than 4 weeks in advance of the proposed event.
- Where it is proposed to add performances to a schedule already announced, a further pre-application consultation meeting will be required to take place before the announcement of any additional dates.
- The public consultation period in relation to event licence applications is being reduced to 3 weeks
Applications for both pre-consultation meetings and outdoor event licences must be submitted to the Strategic Planning & Economic Development, City Hall, Cork
Tel: 021-4924463 or 021-4924318