|Address||25-27 Tuckey Street|
Open 10am to 5pm
The Masonic Hall on 27 Tuckey Street has been the home of Freemasonry in Cork since 1844. This is an end of terrace seven bay, four storey building with a slate pitched roof. It is believed that the ground and first floors of this building were constructed in c1770 and the top floor was under construction during1924-1925 and opened in January 1926. From the outside this building may seem unassuming but behind the walls lies an interior of vast beauty and history.
Downstairs there are display cabinets containing historic items relating to important events in the life of the Masonic Order including old Masonic aprons, levels and badges from the eighteenth century. One of the levels displayed there was used at the laying of the foundation stone of St Patrick’s Bridge and St Fin Barre’s Cathedral. A section of this room is devoted to the Hon Mrs. Elizabeth Aldworth (née St Ledger) the only female ever to be admitted to the Masonic Order.
Upstairs the Lodge Room contains stalls and paneling which are over 300 years old having come from the former St Fin Barre’s Cathedral. The banners on the walls are the coats of arms of some of the highest ranking members in the Free Masons, those over the stalls belong to present members and those higher up towards the ceiling belonged to members now departed. The figures which surround the large mosaic are the plaster casts used in making the figures of the four Evangelists which surround the west window in St Fin Barre’s Cathedral. The Lodge room is used every month from September to May by the seven Lodges which meet in Cork City.