The Everyman is delighted to offer a virtual tour of its beautiful 650-seat listed building, the oldest purpose-built theatre in Cork and a jewel of late Victorian architecture.
The Everyman was designed by Mr. H. Brunton and built c1840 by Mr. John O’Connell. Located on the street front of MacCurtain St this terraced two-bay three-storey was originally built as a house, which was part of a group with the adjoining houses to the east and west.
In 1897 Dan Lowrey opened the building as a luxurious new theatre called The Cork Palace of Varieties. Its origins as a beautiful Victorian theatre arereflected in the interior of the building with its impressive ornate proscenium arch and boxes and a balcony and ceiling composed of decorative plasterwork, which has been restored to its former glory.
During the heyday of music hall theatre 1897 – 1912 no expense was spared in securing the best talent available at the time. Artists such as Charlie Chaplin, George Formby and Laurel and Hardy to name a few performed during this time.
With the arrival of the “talkies” the Palace became a cinema in 1930 and remained so until 1988. The venue reopened as a Theatre in 1990 when it was purchased by the Everyman Theatre Company. The names of the venue and the theatre company were combined to form the Everyman Palace Theatre, but it is now known simply as “The Everyman”.
The Everyman is now one of the busiest presenting and producing theatres in Ireland. It incorporates a diverse and eclectic programme of world class theatre, dance, music, visual arts, family entertainment and variety shows.