Nano Nagle Place
Open 10am to 5pm
The unexpected urban oasis at Nano Nagle Place dates from the 18th century. Here Nano Nagle founded her first schools and built convents for both the Ursuline and her own Presentation Sisters. During this period the gardens were laid out, along with the sisters’ graveyard where Nano is buried. All have been carefully conserved and imaginatively augmented in recent years to create Nano Nagle Place.
The oldest remaining building is the convent that Nano Nagle built for the Ursuline Sisters in 1771. The Ursuline sisters thrived here, adding various extensions to the original building. When the Ursulines moved to Blackrock in 1825 their buildings passed to the Presentation Sisters, who added school buildings and a lovely Gothic chapel to the site.
Nano Nagle Place is not only a heritage attraction and a beautiful sacred space, it also houses charities that continue Nano’s work. Indeed, education continues across the site – we are delighted to have Cork Centre for Architectural Education in our heritage lecture theatre.
For Cork Heritage Open Day open air craft markets will take place in the front and top plaza. The Museum is having a talk over day with young people from Cork Migrant Centre who are hosting a wide range of events throughout the day.